Wednesday, September 2, 2009

Back To School

 And so I commence another year of studies. I usher in the new year by taking an organic chemistry placement exam, to make sure that after ten years I still know my shit. Because that is some old organic chem, man. And seriously, aside from mentally giving certain foods, drinks, and other substances IUPAC names in my head over this last decade, in addition to sometimes privately noting a Bronsted/Lowry acid-base reaction, I have not done a damn thing with organic chem. I mean, who the fuck has? So we'll see how the test goes. 

I would like to prepare you, blog readers, for a semester-long high pitched whine as I am taking some classes that can only be described as devoid of useful content, and also just fucking inane. For instance: Cultural Diversity in Nursing. I really need that. If there's one thing I'm unfamiliar with, it's other cultures. Especially ones in which I have immersed myself for my entire adult life. If I hear one dumb or inaccurate thing said by the prof regarding Arabs, Muslims, or the Middle East I am not to be held responsible for my actions. Let's recall the time I got sent to the principal's office in the sixth grade for correcting (all right, vehemently, but she kept insisting she was right!) the teacher's spelling on the board. She was wrong, though, and also couldn't pronounce oregano, which bothered me. So if someone who is supposed to be imparting knowledge of cultures unfamiliar to the students of the class fucks it up, I will be displeased and it will take all of my personal skillz to convey that without bringing a storm of abuse upon the prof's head.

Another idiotic class I am taking is English 102. Apparently having scored as high as one can score on the AP exam, thus exempting me from all college English at pretty much any university in the world, does not rate with the school's nursing program. See, you have to have an actual English class as a part of your GPA, so that you can be accepted into clinicals. You can imagine the steam that came out of my nostrils as my advisor informed me of this. She said, "I see you've never had an English class at the college level." I said, "I didn't need to. Because I could probably edit War and Peace at birth." So there is a chance that I may implode from this class, and you know I will be calling attention to all syllabus errors on the first day of class.

Someone told me that this semester must just be considered a bunch of hoops that I have to jump through in order to achieve my end game. Actually that most of nursing school, including graduate shit, would be like that. Maybe not my strongest point, the hoop jumping. Because my inner anarchist stretches out at the last minute and side kicks the fuck out of the hoop, catching whoever is holding it in the face.

No comments: