Sunday, February 14, 2010

Curling!!

I love the winter Olympics, more than the summer ones even though probably the summer sports are more conventionally awesome, like pole vault and steeplechase. But the Winter Games, they are the less ripped and dorkier cousin of the Summer Games, and I favor the tiny nerd in this case. My main reasons are:

Curling. Quite possibly the coolest, most random sport besides maybe lawn jarts. You can be a fat lazy bastard and still curl. And the frantic brooming.....oh, the frantic brooming. You cannot keep cynicism in your heart when you watch the broomers. They so earnestly and sincerely want the stone to land well and heroically broom toward that end. It makes me want to eat that oatmeal-in-a-stomach shit, just to honor the roots of the curling.

Luge. Not quite so light hearted this year, what with the recent luging death on the icy track of despair, but still the luge is fantastically exciting, not for reasons unjustified as it turns out. I mean, that's what we've all expected all along, and why it's so thrilling to watch--at any moment, someone could fly off the track and die instantly. Like two days ago. Rest in peace, Georgian Luger, and I'm glad you made it to the Olympics. There's a bit of cosmic balance there, I guess.

Ski jumping. Mainly cool because the angle of the ski jumpers legs to their skis amuses me greatly. I do not know why.

Men's Figure Skating. With all due respect to the artistry and athleticism of the sport, there is always one crazypants who insists on trailing flowing scarves as part of his costume. Any time you get someone doing physical interpretations of song I'm totally in. There's no chance it's not going to be funny.

So for two weeks, I will be immersed in the Winter Olympics of 2010. Inasmuch as I get immersed in anything that is not me actually doing a sport, or reading. So I guess I will be intermittently watching the Winter Games, as time permits and when I feel like it.

2 comments:

Mel said...

I was a bit taken aback by the Biathalon = for a bit there I was thinking what a fucking dumb ass combination - who the hell thought that one up = ski - then shoot - then ski some more - then shoot some more. While I am a fan of sport shooting as well as skiing, just not together. Too WEIRD But knowing that the Olympians of wee past had a purpose and oh those who live in netherland who must do such a sport to survive in arctic lands. I still think bullshit - just an excuse to get away from spouses and shoot some shit up. Where is the nearest trail!!!!

susan said...

I can appreciate random judgmentalism. For instance, I've always had a bit of a bone to pick with steeplechase. As in, what the fuck is it? And why, why with the stagnant water? So I get your ire. You seem pretty heated though.