One thing I've been thinking about since last summer or so is changing my name. No, not my first name, that's perfectly serviceable as Marilla would say (please, please let there be just one person who can relate to my deep love for all things Anne of Green Gables). But when I got divorced, I kept my everything the same because the boys were truly distressed at the thought of the three of us not having the same last name. I didn't really care at the time, so I went with it. It seemed like small potatoes indeed in light of the total upheaval of life as they knew it.
Since that time, I've grown very tired of still being identified as someone's wife by my last name. It feels less and less like it belongs to me, and more like a burden or a residual mark of a life gone past. As I embark on career-type paths and discover new uses for the tapeworm, I'd like to see all the letters and accolades accumulate behind my real name, the one I grew up with.
On the other hand, this would be a great opportunity to come up with and adopt a world-class unique personalized name. It's a chance to express my innermost qualities and values, all wrapped up into a kick ass moniker that I could sign with a big fat flourish. Someone suggested Marvella, which I think has a certain ring to it and I'm putting it on the list for sure. Other possibilities include Reckonwith, Peacock, and Cineplex. I'm also not ruling out Pingpong. I'm very open to suggestions so let it fly if you come up with something that just screams my last name.
8 comments:
OMG I read Anne of Green Gables like 10 times a year at least in middle school. I loved that book. I knew I loved you. =)
We were always going to go with Flamingo--just for a little flair. Though I am loving Pingpong! But the boys might be jealous.
Yessss!!!! Another AofGG lover. I'm sincerely hoping that you've read the entire series, if not rectify the situation immediately.
Ooooooh, Flamingo. That's good, that's very good. It would be a real statement of self. The statement would be, "I eat enough tiny shrimps that my feathers have a pink hue."
Winkelbauer is up for grabs.
Sara, one of my first memories of you is you saying that someone used to call you Sara Winkel Stinkel. It cracked me up and I figured we'd probably hang out a little:)
Have you seen the AofGG TV series on Canadian TV? Fan. Frigging. Tastic. I have a chick crush on Megan Follows, who plays Anne (with an "e", of course) and Colleen Dewhurst, who plays Marilla (and, I think, unfortunately, is dead now).
Um, Val, I own that shit. And grieved mightily when Collen Dewhurst died. I think it's one of the rare times that a movie is done up to the books' excellence.
Post a Comment