Wednesday, October 6, 2010

Group Jerk

I'm on a roll, so why stop? Also I have some time left before class is over. One thing I am finding very trying this semester is the focus on group work in my health/science writing seminar. We get together in small groups for a portion of each class to either edit each other's work or do a brief exercise (for instance, convey a particular medical instruction to a universal audience without using words).

Here are the reasons I hate this:
And hate is not too strong a word here:
I actually like this class a lot except for group work:

1) I dislike talking to people in class. I never make friends in school. I prefer just to go there, do my thing, and go home. Group work forces me to interact with people. I don't like that.

2) I get absolutely nothing from it. I have not yet met anyone in class whose critiques of my work I would find useful, and the brief projects take twice as long in a group as they would alone. I find myself discussing really idiotic things--once it was whether a patient would understand the directive "above heart level" or if we should make it something more like "higher than your chest". Both have merit and potential pitfalls, but the conversation between the two other groupies was just so useless that I wanted to scream.

3) It is hard for me to not show how I feel. A lot of the time I can just go along with things and try not to be an asshole but not in this circumstance. It is too much. So I try to pleasantly and diplomatically point out how idiotic some of the ideas are. Pointing out idiocy is neither diplomatic nor pleasant. But I still try! Because that's the nice thing to do.

All of these points might lead a person to think, "Wow, this obnoxious person clearly needs to work better within groups! And probably do it more until she is better at it, and likes it more!" That is not the case. I have disliked group work and projects since I was born, and it will not change. It does not mean I cannot do it, but that I would choose not to 100% of the time. If it were required of me for a job I really liked I would probably suck it up. But I'd have to get probably two massages during the length of the project just to alleviate some of the inevitable stress I would feel.

1 comment:

Kirstin Cronn-Mills said...

It is great to hear your voice again. I've missed it! : )