Not too long ago I was at my kids' end-of-the-school-year concert. It was cute and hilarious, mainly because the total focus and exuberance of the little ones doing hand motions to songs is just awesome. I like that part. The older kids also performed and did a pretty good job except for one thing. They sang that song, I don't know what it's called, but it has Day-O, daylight come and me wanna go home.
I cannot possibly describe how uncomfortable that song makes me feel. I honestly think I must have some horrible repressed childhood memory on par with Clarice Starling's lambs. Because on the surface that song is totally benign but seriously I want to sever my own arm and then use it to rear naked choke myself into unconsciousness every time I hear it. I do not understand what it is about at all, and in addition to that the Day-O part just sucks terribly. When I realized how tense I felt listening to these hardworking and earnest elementary school kids singing it (not too well, crazy ass phrasing and shaky pitch but props anyway), I tried to use calming techniques like thinking of other stuff not related to the song but I could still hear it and that failed. So then I tried to understand the lyrics but I hate the song so much that I only get to the daylight part and then I lose all focus because I am drowning in discomfort. If there were a major prize that involved saying the lyrics of that song past the daylight part I would not win it. I know at some point there are measurements involved, 6 foot, 7 foot something but again that is just the time when I again have to tune out and internally rock back and forth to mitigate the assault of that song.
I recognize that this is not a rational response to a well-known song. In fact is probably qualifies as not only irrational but abnormal and extreme as well. Fuck the haters, I say, I'm not harming anyone because of it even though I would really like to not only kill that song but send it into the terrifying and cold abyss of a black hole, a special one that swirls shitty songs into its vortex of pain and nothingness until the song ceases to exist in past and future as well as the present. Maybe if I understood what the song was about I would feel less hostile about it. Hard to say and also irrelevant. I have limited free time and it will not be spent on that song.
3 comments:
LOL."come mr tally man tally me bananas ,daylight come... "
I love that song..but it always reminds me from that odd scene in Beetlejuice ,
Hey! Did you know - there is another version of that song called "night-O"???
..sorry.had to. you are probably crawling out of your skin.
Please don't torture me by singing "black velvet" that song makes me oddly nauseous and uncomfortable. I can't even think about it...but I just did.damn you.
From Wikipedia:
"Day-O (The Banana Boat Song)" is a traditional Jamaican mento folk song, the best-known version of which was sung by Harry Belafonte. Although it is really Jamaican mento, the song is widely known as an example of calypso music (calypso is Trinidadian). It is a song from the point of view of dock workers working the night shift loading bananas onto ships. Daylight has come, the shift is over and they want their work to be counted up so that they can go home.
Doesn't go on to explain why the song might cause such a visceral response, but that's wikipedia for you.
Ok, that makes sense. I respond to the logical. I'm pretty sure I still feel uncomfortable about it, though.
Post a Comment