So there I was, grappling. It was my first roll of the night after being stuck studying for two days, and I really needed the physical outlet to say the least. I was rolling with this guy Chris, doing some good stuff, driving him crazy with my guard, having a good time. Then we broke apart, and he was standing with me sitting. He went to pass my guard, like step through my legs, just as I went in to grab the stepping leg. I felt a major crunchy impact as his knee went directly into my head, right in my eye socket actually. He came down right away, checking if I was all right, but only got out part of the sentence. I heard,"Are you..ICE! Ice! Right now!"
Right about that moment I noticed something out of the corner of my eye. On further inspection it turned out to be my actual eye. Puffing so rapidly and furiously that I could see it out of my own eye. Chris got the ice on it but not before about 5 other guys came over to look. Holy shit and Jesus Christ were the main comments. Fuckin A was used once. I figured it was pretty bad. It didn't hurt but I got the ice going anyway in hopes that I could avoid looking like a major domestic abuse victim. Alas I could not. My coach came out and looked at it, exclaimed mightily with profanity, and went to rip Chris a new one. I asked if I could keep rolling. He said that I was done for the night, which sucked because I wanted to roll and it honestly didn't hurt too much. All the guys kept coming over to look at it. Mostly they cracked up. At one point I asked what I have to do to get some sympathy, cry next time I get hurt?
I packed up and left because I could tell my eye was swelling shut and I had to go pick up my elder son at the gym and it seems like driving with only one open eye might interfere with depth perception. I finally looked in the mirror on the way out. I seriously looked like Rocky Fucking Balboa. See how his eye is kind of shut? That's me. With a little purple. And I am the guest reader for my niece's class tomorrow. And also, it's conferences week at the boys' school. That's right, I get to go meet with the teachers with a big ass shiner. Just like last fall. That's right, I also had a black eye for last semester's conferences. Awesome.
I'm going to go ice my face now.
4 comments:
Oy vey, just went through this the night before my 39th birthday(yay). Sorry it was you turn this time, As mine went from the blues and purples to the greens and yellows of the black eye rainbow the magic of concealer was revealed. That and some swanky sunglasses, the mommies at my school said it made me look like a bad-ass. I choose to accept their kindness.
Feel better.
Take at least one picture . . . awesome that it will be two years in a row for conferences. I bet the boys think it is cool. Always an interesting experience having all people you meet staring at your face. Hope it heals quick.
I've been wearing the sunglasses whenever possible, Lola. And the yellow has just begun, so I think the rainbow is on its way. I feel like a badass when I remember it's there. And it is kind of pretty....
See picture above, Kel. It is interesting, I notice that people either just burst out with the asking or try mightily not to acknowledge it at all. Interesting sociological experiment, it is.
Post a Comment