Today my older son tested for his second level junior black belt and passed, which meant that we had to go to Red Robin to celebrate. He is a cheeseburger aficionado and that is one place you can find a wild variety of them. So he stole my usual, which is the teriyaki cheeseburger with grilled pineapple on it, which is so good it actually makes kittens look ugly. Since I hate duplicate ordering I got the chicken bruschetta sandwich which was also quite good. Little guy ordered off the kids' menu and grossed us all out as usual with that shit.
So then His Black Beltedness wanted a shake for dessert. I said fine, why not? It's a big day. He ordered a butter toffee shake which actually had toffee bits in it. It was initially alarming to suck crunchies through a straw but then became satisfying as the adrenaline wore off. Littler son hated it so he ordered the tiramisu shake. I felt it would taste like ass and I was right. It was like coffee smooshed with old cookies or something. So then we ordered the gingerbread shake, whereupon the heavens parted and angels rained down deliciousness upon us. They put graham cracker crumbs into the shake, so it was slightly textured but not at all like pulpy fucking orange juice. It was like light delicate morselets of ex-crunchiness that had softened in the gingerbready goodness. I feel bad about doubting the graham cracker as a successful adjunct to a shake, because I admit it, I was skeptical. That won't happen again--I see now the graham cracker's versatility and rare ability to enhance all encounters with other foods. Cheesecake crust should have been enough for me to know that, or even the seven-layer bar, but it was not. Let it be said now that I will not ever again doubt the graham cracker in any form.
No comments:
Post a Comment