Saturday, January 9, 2010

Angle Of Incidence

It's the first post of 2010. Very momentous, I'd say. Except that I don't have too much to say, mainly because I've been working on my reflective statement. That's right, I'm reflecting. In order to actually interact with patients, you have to first reflect upon a personal challenge and then reflect on how you handled it. Right now the main reflecting that's happening for me is about why in the fuck I have to do this kind of shit when I'm 34 years old, how I can possibly sum up the main challenges of my life in 3 pages or less, and why I do stuff like this instead of just doing jiu jitsu all the time. Then I gather my wits and say, "Self, you are doing this because you have to. So suck it up and start with the reflecting. Stop being such a pantywaist."

Possible challenges I have come up with as having reflective properties are:

Horses, riding them
Jerry-Springer-like divorce
Continuing to drink my favorite tea even though it unfurls creepily
Getting punched all the time, not crying
Sandwiches, achieving perfection with each double-breaded piece of heaven
Snowblower, starting it (this might not be such a great candidate because each attempt ends in swearing, kicking, and one time tears because that bitch won't start unless a guy pulls her yanker; it would be hard to reflect with so many swears and with no success in the end, plus I think the f-bomb is frowned upon with these kinds of things and there's no way I can talk about that fucking whore of a machine without some colorful language)
Reflecting on reflections

So far that's all I've got but I have to make it awesome so I'll be pouring all of my reflective self into it. Actually that's not true, I'll be dribbling the tiniest portion of myself possible, because reflecting on shit is personal and I don't even know these people on the committee. It's fucked up that they're all, hey, tell us extremely private things and then we'll judge you. Fuckers, I should reflect on that, how I've overcome the bitterness that comes with such a social-barrier destroying request of baring the soul to write a moving essay on how I reflectively handled their probing.

On a related note, I believe I have made the decision to go ahead and do a doctorate. I'm feeling pretty good about it. Long road, though, but since I'm driving I get to decide and also the radio station will be NPR so just deal.

3 comments:

Kirstin Cronn-Mills said...

Are you absolutely SURE you want to do a doctorate (she said, trying to talk Susan out of it)?? It sucks!

Though I totally understand it. : )

Happy 2010 to you and your dudes. Hope you reflected so much you were shiny.

susan said...

I'm mostly sure. It is the coming wave of nurse practitioner degree-ship. I'm figuring on a pretty long stretch of suckage anyway, so a DNP in the end would at least be some compensation.

Kirstin Cronn-Mills said...

I would imagine a DNP could be 1) more fun, and 2) less desk-bound than a regular Ph.D., so that's OK. I didn't realize you were doing the NP thing--that's such a cool field (IMO). And so much need for them!

Yes, long stretch of suckage. But worthwhile in the end. Just anchor yourself to your dudes and it will be fine. Having them to think about will make even more craziness, but it will also be a great break from academic thinking.

Cronns got brains, baby, and lots of smart-ass commentary besides, but we's gots da brains fo degree-havin'.

Now I sound like Kjell. : )